SUSTAINABLE DESIGN LAB RIGA
On Friday, June 11th, 13:00 – 17:00 and Saturday, June 12th, 11:00 – 14:00 the Sustainable Design Lab in Riga will be kicking off! We have invited designers from Riga city, who share the same vision for our cities: a more inclusive, safe and sustainable urban environment.
The participating designers will be working on creative prototypes related to the Sustainable Development goal 11 “Sustainable cities and communities”. This topic connects all participating partner countries of the Baltic Sea Region (Finland, Latvia and Germany) and is a highly relevant topic in the area of sustainable design.
The workshop here in Riga is the final part of a larger series of events called The Sustainable Design Lab which allows up to 15 selected designers from different disciplines and different countries of the Baltic Sea Region to participate in an international program focused on developing prototypes.
The design lab workshops are designed to educate designers on sustainable / circular design, to introduce foreign markets to local designers and to build an international network. Throughout the design lab, prototypes that will thematise challenges around SDG11 will be created. Designers can choose their topic of interest and can choose to work alone or in teams. The design lab offers an opportunity to experience new ways of working through an interdisciplinary and international group of skilled designers and allows participants to develop their own ideas in a focused way.
Working with skilled designers from Hamburg, Mikkeli and Riga, the participants will be attending 3 digital workshops and other activities focused on circular design. Here they will gain knowledge on how to:
- Foster exchange of ideas and influences in the field of sustainable design on an international level
- Educate designers on possibilities of entering international design markets
- Contribute to sustainable urban development by generating ideas and prototypes around a given topic (sustainable cities and development, SDG 11)
- Experiment with new digital tools for internationalization
The workshops have taken and will take place on the following dates in March, May and June:
- Friday, March 19, 16:00 – 19:30
- Saturday, March 20, 10:00 – 16:00
- Friday, May 7, 16:00 – 19:30
- Saturday, May 8, 10:00 – 16:30
Riga workshop and final event:
- Friday, June 11th, 13:00 – 17:00, final event at 18:00
- Saturday, June 12th, 11:00 – 14:00
The design lab is a part of the European Interregional Baltic Sea Region project Creative Ports. The Sustainable Design Lab is jointly hosted by three Creative Ports partners Hamburg Kreativ Gesellschaft, XAMK – South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences and Danish Cultural Institute in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania with the support of Goethe-Institut, Northern Dimension Partnership on Culture – NDPC and Magnetic Latvia.